One-off grants offered for employees isolating after recent possible exposure sites

Acting Premier, Jeremy Rockliff said the health and safety of Tasmanians remains a number one priority for the Government as we continue to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“With 112 new cases today, the situation in NSW is another reminder of how quickly COVID can spread and how important it is that we keep on top of it, and keep our community safe.” He said.

“Our current border restrictions with NSW, including a number of Local Government Areas and high-risk locations, will remain in place until Public Health advises it is safe to ease, and we will not hesitate to take further action should the situation worsen.”

A number of high-risk locations also remain in place with Queensland, anyone who has recently travelled within those areas are asked to regularly check the coronavirus website for up to date information as the list of high risk premises changes frequently.

“Pleasingly, Tasmanians have heard the call to get tested, with over 2,000 tests conducted since Friday – a fantastic effort.”

“We also thank those Tasmanians who have self-isolated and tested following a number of possible exposure sites identified by Public Health in the State after a man who travelled from Tasmania tested positive in the UK.”

“The Tasmanian Government understands that while taking a precautionary approach to keep our community safe is responsible, it can impact on local businesses.”

“That’s why we are providing support where it is needed, including immediate assistance to employees of a one-off payment of $250 through Pandemic Isolation Assistance Grants, which is available to employees who lose wages due to Public Health requiring them to self-isolate, particularly casual employees without leave entitlements.”

Small businesses that have incurred direct costs as a result of closure will be invited to apply for critical support assistance, and we ask they contact Business Tasmania to register at business.tas.gov.au, or by calling 1800 440 026.

Last week also marked a number of important changes for the use of the Check in Tas app.

An expanded number of businesses are now asked to use the Check In Tas app, with the expectation it will be in place by 31 July, and all Tasmanians aged 16 years and older are now required to check in whenever they enter a premises displaying a QR code, irrespective of the period of time they are in the premises.

Contact tracing remains one of our most important safeguards should a case occur in Tasmania, and businesses are responding positively, with over 26,000 businesses now registered.

Of course, our number one safeguard in the fight against COVID-19 remains our vaccination program, and Tasmanians are continuing to heed the call, with over 40 per cent of eligible Tasmanians having now received one dose, and more than 16 per cent fully vaccinated.

With new cases continuing to emerge daily in other states, our message remains the same: Don’t wait. Vaccinate.

More information about COVID-19 can be found here.

The Tasmanian Browser Logo for Local Tasmanian News and Stories

Sign up to receive Breaking News alerts!

We will only send you local Tasmanian Breaking News.
You can unsubscribe any time, and it's FREE!