A lucky escape for shack owner

A man evacuated his burning shack unharmed early yesterday morning after he was woken by the sound of a smoke alarm activating.

TFS volunteer crews from Great Lake, Deloraine, Bothwell and Brady’s Lake brigades were called to the fire on Jillett Road at Brandum just before 2am to find the shack fully engulfed.

The fire started in the loungeroom when a wall behind the wood heater caught fire, destroying the 2-bedroom shack and a nearby ute.

The owner changed the battery in his smoke alarm this week after remembering that daylight savings is the time of year recommended by fire services to change your smoke alarm batteries.

“The loungeroom was well alight when the occupant woke up. Given how quickly fire can move through a house, just seconds later could have meant the difference between life and death, or serious injury,” said Regional Fire Investigator, Station Officer Adam Doran.

“This incident is an example of the importance of having working smoke alarms installed in any room where you sleep. You can’t smell smoke when you are asleep, so you are relying on your other senses, such as your hearing, to alert you to a fire.”

“Often smoke alarms in shacks can be forgotten and it’s important to ensure they are properly maintained.”

“If you’re at your shack during these school holidays, pack some batteries before you go and replace them as soon as you get there. Even better, install smoke alarms with a 10-year lithium battery and make sure they are cleaned and tested regularly.” Mr Doran said.

The Tasmanian Browser Logo for Local Tasmanian News and Stories

Sign up to receive Breaking News alerts!

We will only send you local Tasmanian Breaking News.
You can unsubscribe any time, and it's FREE!